As a time-honored key comprehensive university under the direct supervision of China’s Ministry of Education (MOE), Shandong University (SDU) boasts distinctive features in its education and research. It enjoys academic strength in a wide range of disciplines, and ranks among the top universities in China and is well known abroad. It is a member university of the national Project 211 and Project 985, two national key construction projects to support the development of high-quality universities. The university has well-established platforms for teaching and researches: 2 national key first level disciplines (covering 8 second-level disciplines), 17 national key second level disciplines, 8 state-level research bases (including state key labs, state engineering research centers, a national engineering laboratory, and a national engineering promotion center), 4 key research bases of humanity and social sciences under the supervision of the Ministry of Education, and 4 discipline innovation intellectual resource bases of the State Foreign Experts Administration and MOE. These platforms cover the disciplinary fields of liberal arts, science, engineering and medicine and help SDU to achieve coordinated development between different disciplines. Adhering to the guiding principle of “producing highly qualified graduates for society and contributing to the prosperity of the country”, Shandong University has committed itself to the construction of a high-level competitive faculty team with its “Ten-One Hundred-One Thousand Elite Program”, aiming to attract strategic scientist-style outstanding scholars, principle investigators of various disciplines, and academic pacesetters who enjoy intellectual potentials. SDU is now extending its invitation to talented researchers both at home and abroad to join its academic body to enhance the academic competitiveness, social influence, and internationalization of the University.
I. Major Fields for Recruitment (Listed in no particular order)
1. Literature. Shandong University has been well-known for its liberal arts programs. The School of Literature and Journalism has played an indispensable role in the establishment of the academic ranking and international influence of Shandong University in its century-old development. At present, the School has one first-level discipline doctorate program, one national key discipline (theory of literature and art), four provincial key disciplines(theory of literature and art, classical Chinese literature, Chinese language and philology, and Modern and Contemporary Chinese literature), one key research base of humanities and social sciences of MOE(SDU Research Center of Aesthetics of Literature and Art), and one national basic sciences personnel training and research base(Chinese language and literature).
Recruitment of the School favors overseas talents who enjoy high academic attainments and good academic reputation and influence in the fields of aesthetics, literary theory, comparative literature, and modern and contemporary Chinese literature.
2. Confucian Studies. The Advanced Institute for Confucian Studies at Shandong University was founded In January, 2012 on the merge of the former Shandong University Advanced Institute for Confucian Studies, the Center for Confucian Studies, the Institute of Literature, History, and Philosophy, and the Editorial Board of Literature, History, and Philosophy, aiming to “build Shandong University into a global center for Confucian studies and make Confucian Studies a world-class discipline.” The Institute has under its supervision six research institutions: Chinese philosophy, Chinese literature, historical science in China, Confucian classics and Chinese philology, classical literature, and folk customs, covering all research fields in traditional Chinese learning, involving the studies of Confucian classics, studies of Chinese language and philology, China’s historical science, Chinese philosophical thoughts, Chinese literature, and Chinese folk customs, but with Confucian studies as its focal area of research.
Currently, the Institute is in urgent need of advanced talents specializing in the history of Confucian classics studies, Chinese paleography, and studies on Confucian ideas.
3. Archaeology. Archaeology is an important part of the researches of the History of Ancient China in SDU, which is a national key discipline. Presently the archaeological studies in Shandong University leads the country in social archeology and environment archeology and the University boasts such research bodies as the Discipline Innovation Intellectual Resource Base of the State Foreign Experts Administration and MOE and a state-level experimental teaching demonstration center.
To enhance its own academic strength, the recruitment of talents in archeological studies focuses on interdisciplinary researchers specializing in physical anthropology, bio-archaeology, GIS archaeology, geological and ecological archaeology, cultural relics protection, and paleography.
4. Economics. The School of Economics at Shandong University, with its goal to lead the country in economic studies and make its economic studies internationally known, has launched its strategic program “to internationalize its faculty, teaching programs, and academic researches.” The school has one national key discipline (industrial economics), a state-level financial mathematics and financial engineering personnel training experiment base, three provincial key disciplines (fiscal science, finance, quantitative economics), and 3 Shandong Province research bases for public economics, antitrust and planning economics, theory and policy of finance respectively, and a research center for Shandong Province finance risk control engineering.
The School recruits talented researchers with high academic attainments and good academic reputation and influence in industrial economics, public economics, finance, international economics, and quantitative economics.
5. Political science. The School of Political Science and Public Administration in Shandong University has two first-level disciplines (political science and public administration), a political science post-doc mobile station, a political science doctorate program and master program and a public administration doctorate program and master program, and an MPA program. Its featured studies in European Politics and Society, Environment Politics, Regional and International Political Theory, Party Politics, and theory of socialism enjoy an overall advantage and significant academic influence in China.
The school recruits talents with outstanding academic achievements and influence in the fields of theory of political science, international politics, China’s political development, public administration and public policies, or young talented researchers with academic potentials.
6. Mathematics. Mathematics at Shandong University has developed into an important discipline that leads the country with full-fledged subjects. The School of Mathematics, with its sound teaching and research programs, has been recognized internationally for its academic excellence and its mathematics was recognized as a “first-level state key discipline” in 2007. The Advanced Institute of Shandong University, relying on the intellectual resources of the School of Mathematics, is devoted to the frontier theory research in the world and is dedicated to making original contributions in mathematics and natural sciences.
The School recruits talents in number theory and representation theory, computational mathematics, probability theory and stochastic analysis, financial mathematics and economic mathematics.
7. Physics. Shandong University is traditionally strong in physics. It has two national key disciplines in physics: particle physics and nuclear physics and condensed matter physics. In recent years, the School of Physics and Microelectronics at Shandong University has been enjoying steady development and has set up a sound mechanism for the development of the discipline and talent cultivation.
The School welcomes leading scholars and researchers in the fields of particle physics theory and experiment, particle detector technology, nuclear fusion materials, and spintronics.
8. Chemistry. The Key Lab for Special Functional Aggregate Materials of MOE at Shandong University has been built on the support of intellectual resources in The School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at SDU. It combines the researches in chemistry and material science and has oriented its researches in organic silicon elastomer material, organic silicon glue and coating material, heat resisting resin base composite material, and special nanostructure material on the basis of the time-honored researches in organic silicon and the discipline advantages at Shandong University. The Lab is set to develop into a key lab with distinctive features in leading researches in special functional aggregate materials in the world.
The Lab recruits talented researchers in the fields of special functional aggregate materials specializing in organic silicon materials, polymeric chemistry and physics, polymer material, polymer processing, and special nanostructure material.
9. Life sciences. Shandong University gives priority to the development of its life science researches. Its microbiology is a national key discipline and its botany and zoology, biochemistry and biology have been in the top 1% on the ESI ranking. With the goal of building a world-class life science school, the School of Life Science at SDU is the home of state, ministry and provincial research platforms like the State Key Laboratory of Microbial Technology and the National Glycoengineering Research Center, Key Laboratory of Plant Cell Engineering and Germplasm Innovation of Ministry of Education; National Basic Sciences (life sciences) Personnel Training Base, and Researchers and Engineers Ttraining Base.
The School recruits leading researchers in the fields of energy and environment microbiology, plant cell engineering breeding, animal development and cell biology, particularly bio-energy production and conversion and synthetic biology.
10. Materials science. Materials science is a national key first-level discipline and a prioritized discipline for development at Shandong University. Researches in the field are carried out in the School of Materials Science and Engineering and the Institute of Crystal Materials at Shandong University. At present, Shandong University has a State Key Lab of Crystal Materials, and a Key Laboratory for Liquid-Solid Structural Evolution and Processing of Materials of MOE. It is strong in research areas like crystal materials, materials processing engineering, materials science, material physics and chemistry and its goal is to lead the world in materials science researches.
Major recruiting fields for the discipline include materials science (polymer materials, metallic materials, inorganic nonmetallic materials), material processing (forging and pressing, casting, welding), crystal growth theory (crystal growth thermodynamics, dynamics, nucleation theory, crystal morphology, real-time monitoring and computer modeling of crystal growth process).
11. Mechanical engineering. The School of Mechanical Engineering at Shandong University has a first-level discipline doctorate program and an engineering doctorate program. The School has one national key discipline (mechanical manufacture and automation), and has the MOE Key Lab for Efficient and Clean Mechanical Manufacture and many provincial scientific research platforms. The school has in its undergraduate programs a state-level mechanical basic experiment teaching demonstration center and a state-level engineering education and experiment center. Its subject of mechanical design and manufacturing and automation is a national featured subject and a subject for training “outstanding engineers” approved by MOE, which has been recognized by the International Engineering.
Major recruiting fields of mechanical engineering include green manufacturing and remanufacturing, precision measurements, special micro-nano processing, electromechanical product design, and digit control technology.
12. Energy Sciences. The State Engineering Laboratory for Coal Pollutants Emission Reduction at Shandong University is a national research platform established on the approval of the National Development and Reform Commission. It carries out researches mainly in the fields of fuel combustion and pollutant control technology, exhaust gas advanced purification/joint purification/reuse purification technology, energy and carbon emission reduction technology, and technology for changing solid waste into resources and energy. Presently the lab is equipped with advanced equipments for experiments and researches and has a team of 20 young researchers. To enhance the studies in the field, the lab recruits principal investigators in the aforementioned fields and foreign collaborators in the fields (post-docs included).
13. Electrical Engineering. The Electrical Engineering Department offers featured and well-established undergraduate programs. It is now home to a Key Lab for Power Grid Intelligent Dispatch and Control of MOE and has one national key discipline (power system and automation). The Department makes fundamental and applied researches in power system and automation, electric machines and electrical appliances, power electronics and electric transmission, high voltage and insulation technology, and Theory and New Technology of Electrical Engineering.
Major recruiting fields for electrical engineering include large power grid planning, operation, protection and control, electric energy economy and policy, renewable energy power generation, and smart power grid.
14. Biomedical sciences. The Institute of Biomedical Sciences at Shandong University is a special academic zone established to meet the rapid development demand of biomedical sciences. The Institute centers on translational researches of serious illnesses such as tumor and CVD and promotes the combination of life sciences and medicine, basic sciences and clinical demands. In the near term, the Institute plans to set up research centers for tumor translational research, CVD translational research, infection and immunity, and reproduction and birth defects.
The Institute plans to recruit 15-20 outstanding experts both at home and abroad to be full-time PIs and its recruitment focuses talented researchers in the fields of tumor biology, stem cells and developmental biology, neurobiology, immunology, and epigenetics. Outstanding researchers of life sciences are also welcome.
15. Pharmaceutical sciences. Shandong University has gained swift development in pharmaceutical sciences in recent years. At present, its School of Pharmaceutical Sciences is a national key special comprehensive platform building unit for “major new drug innovation”. The National Glycoengineering Research Center and the Key Lab for Natural Product Chemistry and Biology of MOE have been set up with the sound development of the discipline. Researches in the School center on the subject areas of natural pharmacochemistry, synthetic pharmacochemistry, microbiology and biochemical pharmacy. In the past years, the School has taken on key projects in the state “973” and “863”projects, the national key technology R & D program, and key international cooperation projects. It has also established close cooperation with many large-scale pharmaceutical industries at home.
The recruitment of the School focuses talented researchers in natural pharmaceutical chemistry and related subjects, including natural product biosynthesis and control, natural products structural modification and synthesis, drug design and synthesis, and biochemical pharmacy. Talented researchers in other related subjects such as biotech drugs, monoclonal antibody, CVD or neuropharmacology are also welcome.
16. Public health. The School of Public health at Shandong University is an important base for public health personnel training, public health research, and public health social service in the country. The School boasts one national key discipline (epidemics and health statistics) and the Key Lab for Health Economics and Policy Research of China’s Ministry of Health. It also has an authorized first-level discipline doctorate program and a first-level discipline post-doc mobile station.
The School recruits talented researchers in the fields of chronic disease epidemiology, nutrition and food hygiene, and occupational health or environmental health.
II. Position Requirements.
Shandong University offers the “Qilu Outstanding Scholars” positions, which apply the PI (Principal Investigator) employment system.
The applicant should hold the title of associate professor or above or equivalent title in overseas prestigious universities, enjoy world-class research capacity and international reputation in the recruiting fields, and can participate and lead the recruiting discipline and help improve the research level and domestic and international fame of the School or Laboratory he will work in. Domestic applicants should be winners of National Outstanding Youth Fund (applicants for the fields of humanities and social sciences should be members of New Century Outstanding Talents Support Program of MOE or winners of matching awards), non-Chinese foreign experts can apply for the award of the Thousand Talents Program of the State Foreign Experts Administration.
III. Basic Requirements for Applicants
1. The candidate should have high moral qualities and fine scholarship, enjoy team spirit, and have the academic capacity to lead the researches in relevant fields in the world.
2. The candidate should have a doctor’s degree from a prestigious university both at home and abroad and enjoy an excellent education background.
3. The candidate should enjoy profound leaning, have ever taken on key research missions, and have made important research achievements recognized domestically and internationally.
4. The candidate should be able to perform a full-time duty on the position.
5. Candidates of all nationalities are welcome, but the candidate should in principle be under 50 years of age and be sound in health.
IV. Conditions and Terms of Employment
1. Shandong University applies the contract administration employment system and the tenure-track model. Recruited scholars should complete the teaching and research missions as stipulated in the employment contract. One employment term is 5 years and outstanding scholars can get further employment.
2. Shandong University will help recruited scholars build their own research team according to the “special academic zone” model. Specific issues on treatment and support are negotiable.
3. Based on the actual situation of the scholars, Shandong University shall actively help the scholars to apply for membership in the State “Thousand Talents Program”, the “Cheung Kong Scholars Programme” of MOE, “Taishan Scholars” of Shandong Province, and other talent support programs. The University will also offer help in applying for national, ministerial, and provincial research projects.
V. Materials Required for Application.
1. A full CV;
2. Proof documents for academic achievements and a work plan on the position.
3. At least three reference letters by renowned experts in the research field which shall be emailed to[email protected]or[email protected]directly by the referrals.
VI. Effective Period
The recruitment information is effective all year round and inquiries are welcome.
VII. Contact Information
Address: Department of Personnel, Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong, 250100, P.R.C
Contact Persons: Yao Bo, Zhang Chunhe, Yu Xiangming
Tel: +86-531-88364847 88364306